Friday, May 6, 2011

The Big Slow Down

Seventy-three days.

That's what I've got to finish this thing.  The trouble is, I am in the big slow down while I wait on supplies and tools.  For the most part it's tools.  The other night I solved my freewheel problem, but it's all on paper until I can get a lathe to make it.  The good news is that I should have one tonight.  My niece Katie is engaged to a guy named Chad, and Chad has a lathe I can borrow.
Of course, there is something odd about borrowing a machinists lathe since they weigh a lot and are typically stationary, but it is still going down.  I will no doubt have to come up with tooling and wire up an outlet for it, but it's the direction I have to go.
Also, I have a friend who does back yard sand casting, and he has tentatively agreed to make some parts for me.  This is a big turning point.

I remember explaining this to a couple of attractive women one night, not long ago.

We were having drinks and talking about generalities, and one of them (who I will call Doc) said, "That's great that you can just think of an idea and then make it."
"Yeah, it is pretty great," I said, looking up through the smoke filled room and flashing my hero's smile.
"And you're so good-looking," Kitty said next to me while she rubbed my arm.
I turned my smile on her, catching, as I turned the flash of passion in her eyes.
"It's not as easy as all that, though," I said, "the easy part is the idea.  That's the sex.  The rest of it, the parts where you turn an idea into a product: that's the relationship.  Nobody thinks about the relationship until after they have the sex.  Then all of a sudden they have to realize it's going to take work and commitment to make it work."
"You're just being modest," Doc said.
"Isn't he cute," said Kitty?
I may have blushed.

Ninjas may have attacked the bar at this point, in some nefarious attempt to stop me and destroy the city and I probably fought them off in a Jack Burton style.

I will leave that for a different blog.  The point is, I am knee deep in the relationship part.  And this is going to take hard work, long nights, and a lot of commitment.
I'm thinking of Blue Collar Man by Styx.    Maybe a montage of me working and that plays in the background blending in to Eye of the Tiger by Survivor.




1 comment:

  1. I agree, the idea (the sex) is indeed the fabulous part...all the rest...often trying...sigh...
    Good luck with the hard work and commitment piece...
    I am glad I found you here, at this place, and look forward to following the jouney and cheering for you when you get to be all in (the marriage piece), which will no doubt be exceptional...
    Enjoy ;) HUGS!

    ReplyDelete