Saturday, December 10, 2011

Ragnarok

Here is a little Norse mythology:

At the end of time, all the forces in the nine worlds will meet in Asgard for Ragnarok: the Twilight of the Gods.  Lots will go down, and it will all be bad.  The wolf Skol will catch and devour the sun.  Fire will rage over Migard and pretty much everything will be wrecked.   And Fenrir will break his fetters and devour Odin the Allfather.  Even Thor will die after killing the serpent which surrounds the world.  As it says, "That was the end; and this is the beginning."

After a few years of though, I have decided to name my racing boat Fenrir.  The reason is that it fits.

In my esteem for the racers who can finish 340 miles in under fifty hours (and some under forty), I envision them as the mighty men and women of Norse myth. So, to follow the metaphor, I would be Fenrir, trying  to defeat what are the champions.  This of course is not an attempt to lower them or their accomplishment, but rather to advance a new idea and see how far it can all go.  And, if I do, then it will be as it says: the end and the beginning.


No comments:

Post a Comment