Friday, June 15, 2012

New Training

Yesterday I was in Skokie and as I made my way back to River North, it occurred to me that I was getting in some good training, but also taking some serious risks.  It all started when I went to get my prop....

So, the drive system on my boat is really where the innovation is.  Not just the prop, but the inclusion of other good ideas: shaft drive, recumbent posture, surfski hull.  It isn't so much about invention as innovation, but you still need an engine.  In this case, it's me.  I've mentioned this before, but it's as important for me to be in shape as it is to have a good boat.  One without the other will not get the job done.
Now, I have never had a recumbent bike.  I know about them because Padiak rides them and I researched them to develop the drive for my boat.  But that isn't the same as riding one.  So now I am drawing closer to the deadline, Scott thought it a good idea for me to try out a recumbent.
"It's not the same as an upright bike," he told me.  Understatements are great.

He showed me the ropes and we tweaked a few things and pretty soon I was reclining my way down the street wondering if it would hurt less falling down in a reclined position.  Sometimes, people say they would like to experience their past again.  I might have even said that.  But that isn't true.

Being on that bike in the street with Scott riding along was exactly like learning to ride a bike.  Forget any nostalgia you have over those first few tries when you were a kid: it's scary and unnerving and kind of sucks.  I felt like an idiot.... an idiot who was about to hurt himself.  But I didn't.  I stayed up.  I rode in a more or less straight line.  I took the bike home.

very similar to what I was riding

A good thing to avoid is the use of untested equipment in a situation where you could be injured or killed.  This came to me as I was pedaling through traffic on a bike I barely understood.  I knew this rule, but I have a history of using technology and equipment without testing.  I raced the 340 in 2009 without practice, a plan, having spent time on the river or with my partner, and all in a canoe I had never seen.  I ran a marathon without training.  And, now I have ridden a recumbent from Skokie to River North without knowing how to handle it.  I made it, but let me tell you why this was bad.

The last part can be added any time I am on a recumbent, but I felt like it was important.

The good things: Scott was right.  I need to practice on this thing until the boat is done.  I did make it, and I learn really well when it's do or die.  It makes for a good story.  I wouldn't do it again, but I will put more miles on this beast before I am done.  Who knows, I may even manage a wheelie and a track stand.


1 comment:

  1. You look like you've put on some weight in that photo or you've lost weight since that photo, I can't tell.

    ReplyDelete