Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A lot like life

Sorry for the delay between posts.
Of course much has happened, and while I won't (or can't) tell you everything I have been up to, I want  to relate how I think about design.  I don't think I have written this out before.  I have a belief in a holistic world which often surprises people.  I suppose, though, to a few it would seem normal that I have considered more than a few angles.

At present, Fenrir M2 is still in my living room.  I have inspected it, and done a few preliminary probes into the damages.  I have a plan.  When things need to be done, I am a man who favors action, but I also believe that actions should be considered.  Since I want to do a better job on this boat, I have to consider where things went wrong.  As I have said, there was no problem with the boat.  All the trouble was with me.  You may not believe this, but I wrote it so you can count that I believe it.  And that is the bigger problem.

Here is the holistic side: the design is a product of the designer.  If the designer is lacking, his design will be lacking.  When I think about my designs, I have to consider my life.  Not just the professional parts, but the personal as well.  I have been struggling with personal relationships, with my own self image, and with my lifestyle.

That is a loaded word: lifestyle.  It is mostly considered shallow to think about our lifestyle.  It means physical things to most (cars, houses, clothes, etc).  But it is more than that.  It is the style in which we live our lives.  As much as making sure my designs good, I must make my life good.  Or, more accurately, I must become the person who can make good designs.  To make it more clear let me say it this way.
The way we dress is a function of the way we think about our clothes as much as ourselves.  Some might take a path of fad, or of what we think to be a higher or lower class.  The choice is significant because it demonstrates who we are and who we want to be.  We cannot live in division and be any good.

So, to bring it full-circle, I am not idle on my plans.  To be true, I am more active than I have been.  I am sure much of it will not make sense right away, but it's a story, and it is a part of a larger design.

Stick around and let's see what happens.


1 comment:

  1. Missed your posts. Definitely sticking around to see what happens. The every day as well as the big picture...
    Take care of you.
    ~BD

    ReplyDelete