Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Enough Fooling Around

Okay, okay. I know I have to publish something about boats soon, but since I shared this project with you all a while ago, and have been keeping it going, I decided I had to share the completion.

What you saw last time, was close to the last few details getting buttoned up. Gary and I wired everything and put the top back on. Well, the last two pieces were the transom and four wheels. So, I got the Meers-cat, Gary, and myself together to do the final work on it, and the Argo-Dillo is ready for service.






You can see the new aggressive tires are on. Also, this is the first time we have been able to mount an outboard (that is an Evinrude Junior 2 hp that I need to rebuild). The tires make the ride a lot less smooth, but they get excellent grip (as you can see when I tear up the yard). I hope they will make water travel better, but that is what the Evinrude is for.

This signals a couple of really good things, and it may surprise you that they are boat related.

First, getting this done is a milestone. We have had this machine for a while and it is nice to complete a project. There are always going to be little tweaks we will want to make, but the machine is ready. From here we need to put her through her paces and make sure everything will function consistently. Taking gear into the bush without proper testing is a good way to cause problems and I have no intention of going down that path.

Second, (and this is why I was eager to finish this weekend) I no longer have to work on it. That provides free time that I can fill with boats and other things. Time management is not my strong point, and to prevent the failure of last year, I am moving faster and with a clearer purpose. In addition I do things socially, have instituted a fitness program, keep a race schedule, have other projects, and need room for general goofing around. This is one less thing to work on. And there is a springboard effect to success. Completing a goal makes us more motivated to complete other goals.

Tires and transom mounted. Body assembled. Wires run. Engine replaced.

The Evinrude Junior in it's service position.

Gary, Meers, and Bates proudly standing with a completed project.


2 comments:

  1. We need to edit this video to make it look like you were dodging land mines while fighting off a ninja that was trying to take you out. Spice up the video a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I know just the person to teach me that, and I could use another distraction.... right?

    ReplyDelete