Thursday, May 16, 2013

Boat Test #1

Teddy and I got the boat in the water today. It was a bit of an adventure (we had to take it down four floors by stairs and walk through River North with a canoe) but it went alright. Chicago is oddly not that friendly for paddlers. A sympathetic security guard let us use a boat ramp, and that was enough to get the test done.

As for the test, I can say this:

The boat works. Floats fine, and will take the weight without trouble.

It's a bit "unstable" while sitting still. I don't know if this is just primary stability or if it will carry into the secondary (in motion) as well. I am not sure how to know unless I test it. It did not tip over. It just seemed to rock until it hit the chines and then go the other way. Part of this is that we were unsure of the craft. I am sure it will be fine once I am used to it.

It worked as a solo craft. I may make only a few alterations between this and Fenrir.

It is fast and responsive. When I got in it alone, it was fine, and it responded quickly to the slightest paddle stroke. If I were to center myself a bit, I am sure it would almost skip across the water.

So, everything was a success. My film crew, Jacob, didn't make it in time and so I have no pictures at the moment. I do have some video, but that is raw and I will have to process it. If I can't get anything from today, I will get something from Saturday.

Rest easy, my friends, the target remains and today is a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment