Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hull Modeling




While I am sorting out the mechanicals, I have started to shape a hull.

The major problem with this portion is that I will only get one shot at the final. Unlike the drive train, I will not be able to disassemble and adjust the shape once I build it, so I will have to get it right the first time. To do this, I plan on building a few different iterations as the design progresses.
Initially, I am working from existing designs.

These are a couple of surf-ski hulls I found online. I am using them as guides on how to shape the co
ntours and determine a rough location for the seat and components.










This is a good case where I have decided to get to building before trying to model digitally. I can almost hear the cringes and gasps of some designers out there, but it really comes down two factors: time and information.

The fact is, I have neither. If I were to start modeling this in a boat building software or using Solidworks, I would no doubt come up with several really sharp iterations of hulls. I would still need to make a physical model of them, and so I would be adding a step which I don't need. Also, in order to build an accurate model, I would need to have the dimensions of all of my mechanical components, their placement and so on, before I got started. In working the two together, I will be able to adjust both builds as I make progress. I am counting on this to save me time and inform me as I go.
Self-informing. Brings to mind an interesting digression. In this workflow, I am using the process itself to complete the project. It's somehow a very crystalized explanation of how physical building can inform the design process. This is nothing new, really, but as I hear more and more about the advantages of "virtual" and digital models, I think it's important to note that programs aren't capable of doing this yet. No doubt they will get there, but until that day, there is still a good case for making as a form of thinking.

Back to the boat.


Some other good news happened yesterday. I have a guy working on a rudder for me, and he doesn't seem upset to be building a rudder for a boat that doesn't exist. Also, I picked up a bench top drill press. So, it looks like everything is progressing, and progress is good.

A final note: please don't hesitate to comment. I would enjoy the discussion, and it is more than possible you will add to the overall result.








No comments:

Post a Comment