Friday, January 13, 2012

Cross Training

Ever heard the saying, "If you want something done, as a busy person?"
I live by that.... or try to.  In keeping myself on track, I have some new tech coming which will accelerate the process and make this blog more 'designer-y'.  More importantly, I am entering another half-marathon.

Now, seemingly this has nothing to do with trying to design and build a boat.  But remember: that is only half of my purpose.  The other half is that I intend to win.  So, I need to be three things:
1) a good designer
2) a skilled craftsman
and
3) an athlete.

Let's be clear about equipment.  It is important and can improve your performance.  However, it will not win for you.  I run, cycle, canoe, hike, camp, hunt, street race cars, and have even been known to box.  I can win or lose, but I am the one doing it.  I have used great gear and I have thrown stuff together to make it work.  My performance may have been good or bad, but it is not the equipment that did it.  In every case, I was the one who had to do it.  Sure, I will concede that good equipment can make you more efficient and help you perform, but the reality is that the athlete is what makes it work.  The best shoes aren't going to make you win a marathon unless you have put in the time on training, diet, and still possess the drive to push yourself that hard.
I believe this.
So, to make Fenrir come out in front, I have to be strong and possess the ability to endure.  Not just endure, but to excel.  As a part of this, my bad habits (and often my favorite habits) will have to be in check.  In their stead will be new habits which increase my ability to perform.  So, I am running.  I am no longer going to do full marathons (I think there is a diminished return on it: better endurance at the expense of injury), but half marathons are good.  I can put more energy into the performance and still keep my legs and heart in the proper condition.

There is one other part to this.   I am not sure I have ever let the thoughts crystalize, but there is a connection between the ability to think clearly and involvement in physical activity.  The smartest people and the best performers are active people.  Couch potatoes are rarely successful.    I theorize it has to do with drive and focus- perhaps successful people possess the qualities which make them active and therefore successful- but I intend to be both active and successful.

Anyway, stay tuned, and as always, cary on.

4 comments:

  1. when is the half-marathon and where

    ReplyDelete
  2. The half marathon is called the Polar Dash and it is in Chicago. It's a charity run, and you can check out all the info here: http://chicagopolardash.org/.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, good for you. Motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Will.
    Just got back on the mill (tread mill or dread mill) and got in five miles. That isn't much, but it's a pretty strong recovery after a week of being sick. The surprise reschedule of this race didn't leave me much time for training, but I am still pretty strong and stupid enough to get through. Lost the last one by seven minutes, and I don't intend to do that again.

    ReplyDelete