Monday, January 30, 2012

Into the sunset

So much has happened since the last post.  Let me catch you up.

First, the race.  I ran pretty well, finishing the thirteen-point-one miles in two hours and eighteen minutes.  I came in eight minutes behind the Meers-Cat, which is too bad since now I have to buy him dinner at Simone's.  I also threw up during the race, which is a new experience.  I told an avid runner about this, and she said, "That's good."  I am not going to disagree, but I would rather not make it a habit.  It wasn't the most enjoyable thing to have happen.

Moving on. 


I am going to have a full-time job.  Starting February first, I am no longer the cowboy of industrial design.  As it turns out, I am going to be a design associate for Gravitytank.  I have been contracting with them for around two years now and have found my way into the team as a full member.  This is excellent news.
Obviously I will have steady income.  And insurance (it's been almost three years since I had any insurance).  So, now my projects like Fenrir will have a budget.  That should help though it's also got to come at the cost of time (money is, after all, a symbol of our time which we trade for other things: time is money which is why we never seem to have them both simultaneously).
Secondly, I will be doing all sorts of good work which will push me to excel at my own tasks, but also learn and practice new disciplines.  That is priceless.  It is what I wanted.  Not just the job.  I never really wanted a job, I wanted to work at something that made me fulfilled.  Design does that for me.  And part of that fulfillment is that I don't know everything.  I like that there are challenges and new ideas out there and that I can experience discovery.

I am very pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment