Monday, July 30, 2012

333

It's early or late and the boat is as far along as I can take it.  
By the clock we are only a day from race day.... in twenty four hours we will find out what I have been up to.  Let me be clear:

This is an attempt to build a boat which will outrun any paddler over long distance.  What will be put in the water is a prototype- more accurately a proof of concept model -of what I will build over time.  I am attempting to test my theories on hull, flywheel and variable pitch propellors.  My minimum standard is to set the record for a pedal powered boat which is a little over seventy-four hours. I will be attempting to beat the overall record (below thirty-six hours).  What transpires is the clear result of myself as an athlete and that of a watercraft which has been built to that purpose.

A lot of people have supported me in this effort, and I am afraid that I may let them down.  It is not the fear that I cannot perform, but rather that I have not prepared to the degree that I should have.  I can only let the race decide.  Knowing this, and knowing me, you can be sure that if I can keep going, I will.  There is not an obstacle made which I will not attack if I gave my word.  A lack of preparation does not validate failure.
We proceed onward, and failure- like success- informs the future.

The target remains.






A digression:

In these hours before the race I find myself preoccupied with matters of the heart.  It's strange, I know, but I cannot help but feel that if she were here, I would be more calm.  It makes me realize how much the presence of another can affect us, and brings to mind the realities of life.  Before me lies the task and I am bound by my word, but the anxiety of such a feat would fade with the right words, the softest breath upon my tired form.  I would ride, bearing her colors, to win the day or fall in the glory of Valhalla.  There can be glory in defeat, but we must fight with a worthy purpose and know, in the end, that we had no more left to give.
A love for what we do as much as who we do it for.


No comments:

Post a Comment