Friday, July 27, 2012

Minus Three

It's been a while since my last post, or at least my last post of note.  Tonight is not a big difference.

I'm pretty exhausted from working and then working on this project.  But, the pieces are coming together, and I may be done tomorrow (aside from a few bits that need to dry and maybe the odd rework of a detail).  I have to give special thanks to Dave for taking over the flywheel part of this project.

The Iron Goat made a pretty nice thing, but it will not be heavy enough to drive the prop.  That left me in a spot and I was going to omit that part until Dave attacked it with his experience.  He has a particular gift for cutting through to the heart of a thing and solving the problem with what seems like no effort.  The flywheel now is a 25lb weight which has been fitted to the mid-shaft in the gear box.  The details of it are really something.  Today we balanced it with a method Dave devised and it seems to be rolling pretty true.

In addition to that I got the input shaft(s) put together and did some of the final prep to finish the whole thing.  It is going to be a monumental push, but it is going to get there.  I could test it Sunday, but I can't count on that until we get there.  For now, I am satisfied with progress.

Hope you are all well and getting ready to see what happens in three days.

The pressure builds, the target remains.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the end product and the results of the race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pics are coming.... but try to curb your enthusiasm cause she aint pretty.

    ReplyDelete