Sunday, December 9, 2012

What I Do 2

Pretty rare for my to post so much in such a short time, but I am trying to keep on top of this process.

So, the thickened epoxy dried overnight (I only had slow hardener since I built Fenrir Mark 1 in a heat wave) and the hull is pretty good.  I cut the wire and sanded the seams smooth. Then I looked good an hard at it and realized that my math was wrong. That didn't shock me since my math is usually wrong the first few times I do it. Here's what I didn't account for.

A boat floats by volume displaced. I scaled the boat to a quarter and figured that I would be able to scale the weight by a quarter and it would work out. Nope. I forgot water as a volume would be cubed. So, I wouldn't divide by four, I would divide by four cubed (sixty-four according to my calculator). That still may not be right, but it's closer.

What to do? Well, there is a better way and I am going to take it.

I have a model. It will float. I will put weight into it until it rides the way I want it to. Now, the volume I displace is measurable (I could use a graduated container that I make, or capture and weigh the overflow, or use my digital modelling system to tell me the volume at a given distance, etc.) so from there, I can simply multiply by four, and I would have the carrying capacity for the water line I want.

At least that makes sense right now.

Anyway, here are the images. The last one is the hull with it's first coat of epoxy drying in the shop.

Thickened epoxy is that brown stuff.

Stitches are about to come out.

Stitches removed and the edges sanded smooth.

Ben came up to see my work and we worked on some math to figure out the displacement.
This is his work, I just stood there and followed along like a good student.

The hull coated and beginning to dry on the bench.


No comments:

Post a Comment