Saturday, December 15, 2012

What I do 3


Here is the next few levels of finish. I tinted a two-part clear to emulate the graphite finish, and establish a nice line along the fasteners. Then I coated the entire outer hull in snap-dry clear-coat. It turned out pretty well.

Since this boat is sort of a hybrid- the plans are originally for a kayak and I am converting it into a canoe- I decided to add a little of the kayak. So, I have placed bulkheads in both the bow and stern which will be covered with a deck. In addition I added a central compartment which will be decked. 

At the very end you can see that I have added the out-wales which are only roughed. I will trim them to the hull and then fit the decking. I will have to decide what the hatch will look like and how I want to place the seats. 

Hopefully, I will be done this weekend and testing on Monday. I am out to Canada on the weekend, so there isn't much left for me to do this year. It would be nice to have this buttoned up so that I can do a new boat in January. I could, of course, test with the hull as it is. The trim and details are not required for me to learn what I need to learn, but... it's just too close to not take it to the end. Too much fun to be resisted.












No comments:

Post a Comment