Sunday, July 24, 2011

I went for a walk

Well, the race has been run.

In this case, it was almost literal.  I will have a complete debrief on what happened out there in Kansas later, but for now I will keep it to a few choice phrases.

We finished.  More than a few people didn't, and that is an accomplishment.  We weren't as fast as I'd hoped, but there were complications with the river.  Here are the facts:

It was a hundred degrees.  The river was shallow.  We worked as hard as we could.  We finished the race and were not last.

This is the hardest river race I have ever tried, and while the MR 340 takes longer and left me with more lasting pain, it was easier than the Kawnivore.  What happened out there tested my abilities more than any other race, period.   The Leaning Curve was at her best, and is suffering from serious damage.  Meers and I will at least get better.  Of the hundred miles, we walked ten: canoe in tow.  Many of the people I talked to were worn out, and some gave up.  I have to thank every volunteer at Rivermiles and the Friends of the Kaw for their support and help along the way.  Thanks to Scott for giving me a race this year, even if it wasn't my goal.  Thanks and love to my support crew for putting up with me being grumpy and driven as I am in these things.  Thanks to my partner, the Meers-Cat, for helping me paddle and pull that hunk of wood down an impossible river.  Thanks to the good people of Kansas for the hospitality.  Thanks to you, dear reader, for paying attention to an idiot and his friend while they strive for something intangible.  I hope you will stay with me while I continue.  And thanks to God for letting me be that idiot: able to do it, survive it, and learn to do it better.  

This blog was not about the Kawnivore, so it is not over.  There is a boat to build and a race to win.  The target remains.  Let us proceed.

Starting Line

3 comments:

  1. Awesome. Is Meers using the new Seat? Looks like it, I see wood behind his lower back

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud to be your ground crew. Proud of the great job you and Meers did. You set a goal and accomplished it. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete