Tuesday, July 19, 2011

T Minus 3

Race Day looms.

Last night I got the lights working and today I will get the hull's final finish done.  It's brutally hot right now (well over 100 degrees in the barn), which is good.  That should make the resin cure fast.  I don't have any glass to repair, so it will be a quick wash, coat, and finish coat.

I am considering a few final additions, like a faster stem in the front, and moving the Chief's recliner forward.  The stem would make it plow water a little less, and with the recliner moved forward, Meers would not have to paddle to the outside as much.  Might ease up on his shoulders a bit.

As far as the rest, I am going to get some hydration tubing and an extra light.  I want maximum forward light so I will use the constant on system from bicycles.  Meers will be here Wed. night, so everything will need to be done tomorrow afternoon.

Also, I need to prepare the resupply bags.
I have designed a plan for resupply during the race.  To make it easy for my crew (also known as my Mom and friend Laurel) I will pre-package the gear to be dropped.  At the first stop we will pick up water and the power supplies.  I will add to that some snacks, drinks, and bug repellent.  From there, we will be running at dark and we will only have one other chance at resupply.

In the second stop, we will drop the power and change water.  This is going to be our chance to stretch and apply medication.  We will try to keep it short, but it will be our longest stop.  From then on we are in the home stretch so we will be as light as possible.  Probably drop all the food-type stuff and go straight water.  It's possible that we will need to keep the lights and batteries, but it's hard to tell.  Depends on our speed which depends on the river and the wind.

In any case, that is the plan.  I still need to spend a few bucks on the supplements and some other odds and ends.  Here is the link if you want to spend a little of your Friday night checking on our position.  It's an old fashioned system of manual input and upload, so be patient.  We intend to move fast, but you should know that seven miles per hour is fast.  Follow the coverage here.

I'm off to get some work done.
More pictures and less words tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment