Friday, June 3, 2011

Development

So, fast on the heels of my last post, here are the latest developments.

There is a decent chance that the MR340 might be delayed by the rising waters.  From what I am gathering on the forum, there is rain everywhere up river and the Army Corps of Engineers will be letting water out of the dams.  This could mean a delay of the start by about a month.
In some ways this is good.  My boat is nowhere near completion and I could use the extra time.  Also, while this is an adventure race and carries with it a certain amount of danger (a healthy amount), the safety of the racers is important.
The bad news is that my ground support may not be able to make the change.  So, I have set up a second crew of the Meers-cat.  Joe Meers is a mechanical engineer/adventurer who helps me out with adventures and various math problems.  Should it be necessary, he will jump in and act as my support team.  He should be excellent for the job since he has canoeing experience with me and has his own car.

I do want to say I hope everyone in the affected areas of the country are safe and that my prayers are with them.  I don't want anyone to think that I place the race over the importance of their safety or that of their family.  To help out, try the Salvation Army, or go to the Red Cross website.

No comments:

Post a Comment