Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Doin it in Style

Alright

So, I have been working over the hull of the Curve, and giving some thought into styling.
I know that this doesn't make the boat all that much quicker, but like Mies Van Der Rohe said to a student: if you're going to make something, why not make it beautiful?

In design, function is my ultimate aim.  However, it should still be pleasing to be successful.  Granted that could lead to all sorts of semantic arguments about aesthetics and taste, but I won't bother with that.  I am just going to design the graphics for a boat.
I have to incorporate the race number (1679) and I want our names on the hull.  Also, the boat's name across the transom and both my armadillo symbol and Meers-cat's skull.

So far this is where I am, but there are many changes to make.  These are quick designs done in Adobe Illustrator.  That is the easiest way to make graphics and it makes it really fast when changing parts or colors.


It started with a real conservative military style tail flash.  Then I added color and some breaks in the field.
As it goes, I have added more curve and then tried to resolve the tattoo lines with that of the armadillo.
It's coming along, but I am getting close to being real hard to paint.  I have no desire to do multi-color masking and such, but like Dave says, "Design it, and figure out how to build it later."

1 comment:

  1. My fav is the bottom left design. Please explain the armadillo. :)

    ReplyDelete