Friday, June 17, 2011

Doin it in Style: PART 2

So I have been going back and forth with my partner Meers-cat on this.  He pronounced a couple of the designs, "badass" and, for those of you who don't know, that means they are aesthetically pleasing in a way which brings to mind a certain strength or powerful character.
Badass.
Anyway, here are the designs in one page.




Some of them are not even race related in the slightest.  Still, when the idea came to me I put it down, so there they are.   I did eliminate some designs which were just not working for me at all, but for the most part I kept everything.  After discussing it, we came to a decision.  And here it is (drum roll, etc.):

The majority of the lines are based on Maori tattoos.  Since the skull was supposed to be "tribal" in the tattoo sense, I decided to research authentic tribal tattoos.  The Pacific is filled with great work done in the traditional style, and since they are all islanders, the style translates to boats really well.  It isn't a stretch to see water in the lines, and since the islanders have a long history of being badass (Hawaiians remember ate Captain Cook, and he couldn't even land on New Zealand) I figure it works.  Doubtful that we will get into the theme so far as to become cannibals, but the lines are nice.
I am going to try to get the graphics printed and then I will apply them to the refinished hull.  If not that, then I will probably just freehand the curves and mask the text and details.  

NEXT POST: the Tale of the Armadillo.

2 comments:

  1. Great design...cannot wait to see the end result :) I do enjoy the 4th down on the right, as well...
    Looking forward to hearing the saga of the Armadillo!
    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete