Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Well, that didn't work

I meant to rest and get home early and eat a meal and sleep..... I got the meal.

Right after I wrote the last post, I let my mind wander a bit and after a couple turns through a few gardens of thought, I ended up on my prop blades.  So, I thought I would just do a little research on diameters and pitch and so on- nothing physical, just food for thought- and a few minutes later I was working on my prop blades.  When I left a couple hours later, I had a test blade and a couple of experiments going to test adhesives and the strength of my foam.
I'm bad about that... then it got worse.
I did make myself some food, but I ate it while making section views of my hull so I would be able to cut the pieces more accurately while maximizing my yield.  Another hour or so, and I decided to get a rest.... by designing the control lever and a different seat.

This may be a sign of a problem, but it might also be that I am motivated to make this thing work.  I should blame my procrastinating nature (I keep procrastinating on taking a break) but I am going to blame a picture I saw of a pedal powered boat pulling a water skier.  I'm not joking.

oddly, he seems to be a Canadian
I find this pretty inspiring, but I don't know what he's got in that thing.  The hull is certainly wider and shorter than mine will be, but his prop mechanism is much different.  I am closer to the surface, so my prop will be much smaller in diameter, but will grab more water.  Not sure how it will work, but I am not trying to ski, I just want to go fast.

Anyway, this is a long way of telling you what I am up to and that I am still working.  Keep the faith, stay the course, and the finish line will come.


2 comments:

  1. Something about this image bothers me. Now, I try to keep in mind that I don't know everything, and I am the kind of guy who believes in the moon landing, but there are some questions here.

    Why isn't the flag on the boat waving? And where is the bow wave? Is that boat so well designed that it is not pushing water out of it's way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are correct. A boat that low in the water would generate a pretty good bow wave at least, if not a wake. and the flag is curious.

    ReplyDelete